Read Write Inc (RWI)As the children have settled so quickly, we have already started our phonics teaching. We follow a scheme called RWI (Read, Write, Inc). We learn a new sound most days and have a consolidation session on Fridays.
Each day that we learn a new sound, the children will bring home a sheet so that the children can practice. The sheets can be kept at home as a resource to help reinforce the sounds they have learnt so far.
What is Read Write Inc?
Read Write Inc (RWI) is a phonics programme which helps all children learn to read fluently and at speed so they can focus on developing their skills in comprehension, vocabulary and spelling. The programme is designed for children aged 4-7. .
RWI was developed by Ruth Miskin and more information on this can be found on the link below where you can find out how to help your child with pronouncing sounds (see videos at the bottom of the webpage) and moving onto blending them together enabling them to read.
How will RWI be taught?
In Reception all children will learn how to read the sounds, then read the sounds in words and how those sounds can be written down.
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts – see below
- learn to read words using Fred talk and sound blending
- read from a range of storybooks and non-fictions books matched to their phonic knowledge
- work well with partners
- develop comprehension skills in stories by answering 'Find It' and 'Prove It' discussion questions
- learn to write and form the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds with the help of fun phrases
- learn to write words by using Fred Talk
The children work in pairs so that they:
- answer every question
- practise every activity with their partner
- take turns in talking and reading to each other
- develop ambitious vocabulary
Year One & Year Two
Children follow the same format as Reception but will work on complex sounds and read books appropriate to their reading level. Daily sessions of RWI phonics 30-40 minutes.
Five key principles underpin the teaching in all Read Write Inc. sessions:
Purpose – know the purpose of every activity and share it with the children, so they know the one thing they should be thinking about
Participation – ensure every child participates throughout the lesson. Partnership work is fundamental to learning
Praise – ensure children are praised for effort and learning, not ability
Pace – teach at an effective pace and devote every moment to teaching and learning
Passion – be passionate about teaching so children can be engaged emotionally.